AMBUR STAR BIRYANI
- Chicken with bones – 1/2 kg
- Jeeraga samba rice or kaima rice – 2 cup [ 400 gms of short grain rice]
- Oil + ghee – 3 or 4 tbsp
- Bay leaves – 2
- Cardamom / elaichi – 8
- Cloves / laung – 8
- Cinnamon / dalchini – 4 pieces [ 1 inch size ]
- Black pepper – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Onion thinly sliced – 2
- Tomato sliced – 2 big [ not sour ]
- Curry leaves – few
- Green chilli – 4 or as per taste
- Kashmiri red chilli pwdr – 1 or 2 tsp [ for colour ]
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Mint leaves finely chopped – 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves finely chopped – 1/2 cup
- Curd – 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Clean ,wash rinse and chop the chicken into small or medium pieces .
- Clean ,wash ,rinse and soak the rice for 30 mins .
Heat oil + ghee in a thick bottom pan .
Add cinnamon + cardamom + bay leaves + black pepper + jeera and let it splutter .[don’t burn it ]
Add onions + green chilli + curry leaves and fry till light brown .
Add ginger + garlic paste and fry till raw smell leaves .
Add tomatoes + salt and fry till oil separates .
Add mint leaves + coriander leaves and fry till it shrinks.
Add chilli pwdr and fry .
Add lemon juice + curd and mix well .
Add the chicken and mix well .
Cook on medium flame for 2 mins .
Now cover and cook till the chicken sweats completely .
Mix well and let it cook on low flame till the chicken is 75 % done – rest it will cook with the rice .[ 10 or 12 mins till the water evaporates ]
Now add the soaked rice and mix well.
Add 4 or 4 1/4 cups of water and mix well .
Adjust salt if required .
Cook till the water level reduces upto to the rice level .
Now place a tava under the pan ,cover it well – so that vapour doesn’t escape and dum cook on lowest flame for 15 – 20 mins .
Once done ,off the flame and let it rest for 30 mins or more – don’t open .
The rice will absorb all the flavour .
Serve hot with any raitas + salads or even gravies like mirchi or baigan ka salan .
- Here for this recipe the special rice is must – try getting online or any southindian stores .
- Also for this recipe we use 2 tbsp of red chilli paste for colour ,I did not use paste ,I used pwdr – taste was same .For chilli paste soak 10 to 15 red chillis in hot water and grind it into a fine paste.
- The biryani should be orangish pink in colour.
- Even mint leaves and coriander leaves add flavour .
- We dont use spice pwdrs.
- Ambur is a place in Tamil nadu [Vellore ] .
- You can also cook in cooker .
- Older the biryani better the taste .
- If you don’t get this rice ,then use basmati .
- Same recipe vegetarians can try with mixed veges / mushroom /soya chunks etc .
for more recipes click on the names below :-
- What to cook for breakfast ?– 500 recipes
- Cake recipes – 50 cake recipes + 40 tips on baking -baking in cooker /pan /kadai
- Idli recipes – 42 tips + 27 different idli recipes
- Veg recipes– 130 + recipes
- Cooking tips – 200 tips
- Tips for buying and cooking fish– 30 recipes
- Tips for buying and cooking chicken – 30 + recipes
- Tips for buying and cooking mutton– 20 + recipes
- Rice recipes – 53 + rice recipes
- Diet plan for losing weight
- Paneer recipes – 20 + recipes
- Diet plan for losing weight
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies