BASIL PESTO DIP /SAUCE
- Basil leaves – 3 cup
- Pine nut – 5 tbsp
- Pepper pwdr -1 tsp
- Parmesan cheese – 2 or 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste [ be careful as we are adding cheese ]
- Garlic – 3
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Olive oil – 5 to 8 tbsp
Clean, wash ,rinse and pat dry the basil leaves.[use the tiny stems not the big stems]
Take all the ingredients in a food processor and blend it to a coarse mixture .
Check salt and pepper and adjust if required .
Store it in an airtight container.
- Pinenuts are expensive [ 4000 – 5000 rs per kg ] you can substitute it with cashew or walnut or almonds lightly roasted or skinless roasted peanuts.
- Instead of basil we can use coriander /mint /broccoli / blanched spinach puree.
- Instead of parmesan we can use other cheese . I used processed cheese only 1 cube .
- We don’t have to grind it we have too blend it [ finely minced ]
- If using mixer to grind then just pulse it.
- Store it in fridge – remains good for more than 3 weeks if olive oil is added generously.
- This sauce can be used for making pasta / spaghetti / pizza / salads / for nachos / sandwich / marinate chicken / for garlic bread
- Mix it with mayo and use it as a spread .
- The origin of this sauce is from Italy where it is grounded in mortar pestle
- Don’t use the thick stems of the basil use tender ones.
- Adjust ingredients as per taste.
- Adding too much cheese will make it sour.
- Reduce cheese and add it when required .
- Cheese can also be avoided .
- For me , pesto is like a green Indian chutney .[taste was differnet because of the ingredients]
for more recipes click on the names below :-
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies