BHAJNI CHI CHAKLI / MULTI GRAIN CHAKLI
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BHAJANI FLOUR
- · Chana dal – ½ cup
- · Urad dal – ½ cup
- · Moong dal- ½ cup
- · Rice – 2 cup
- · Sabudana – ¼ cup
- · Jeera – ¼ cup
- · Coriander seeds – 2 or 3 tbs
Clean the dals with a damp cloth and dry it .
Dry roast all the dals separately one by one till crisp and golden brown .
Dry roast rice till pinkish and crunchy .
Dry roast sabudana till it puffs up and colour changes slightly .
Dry roast the jeera and coriander seeds also separately till aromatic.
**** we have to dry roast all the ingredients separately without oil . Pls don’t burn it while roasting .
Let the roasted items cool down .
Mix all the ingredients and grind it into a very fine pwdr . Sieve it .[ you can also give in the flour mill to grind ]
This flour in Marathi is called bhajani
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING CHAKLIS
- Bhajani flour – 1 cup [made above]
- Water – 1 cup
- Hing / asafoetida -1 tsp
- White sesame / til – 2 tsp
- Ajwain / carrom seeds – ½ tsp
- Red chilli pwdr – 1 or 2 tsp depending on taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Chakli press with star mould
Heat 1 cup water ,add asafoetida + til + ajwain + chilli pwdr + oil + salt .
Allow it to boil .
Once it boils .add the flour and mix well.
Off the flame and cover it .
Keep aside for 6 – 7 mins .
Once you are able to handle the dough ,transfer it to a big plate and start kneading .
Use luke warm water to knead the dough as required .
Knead it into a soft dough .
Take a small portion of dough and roll into a cylinder.
Grease the chakli press with oil and stuff the dough .
Heat oil in deep pan /kadai .
Once the oil becomes hot ,lower the flame to medium .
To check if the oil is ready for frying ,add a tiny piece of dough in the oil ,if the dough rises up immediately – it means the oil is ready for frying
Make chaklis on the back of a ladle in a circular pattern and slide it into the hot oil .
Once the chakli comes up to the surface ,turn and fry on the other side .
Fry till the bubbling and ssshhhhh frying sound stops. [ Be careful because of the chakli colour , its difficult to find out whether it is fried or not – don’t over fry it ]
Drain and remove on an absorbent paper .
Allow it cool and store it in a airtight container .
1. Fry chaklis in small batches of 2 or 3 depending on the size of kadai .
2. Use a metal strainer to remove the residues in oil before frying a new batch .
3. Replace the oil if it becomes very frothy .
4. Oil should be hot while frying else it will absorb oil . Also it should not be very hot or the chaklis will not get cooked from inside.
5. Don’t burn the chaklis while frying.
6. After storing if the chaklis become soft ,you can microwave them and make it crisp .
for more recipes click on the names below :-
- What to cook for breakfast ?– 500 recipes
- Cake recipes – 50 cake recipes + 40 tips on baking -baking in cooker /pan /kadai
- Idli recipes – 42 tips + 27 different idli recipes
- Veg recipes– 130 + recipes
- Cooking tips – 200 tips
- Tips for buying and cooking fish– 30 recipes
- Tips for buying and cooking chicken – 30 + recipes
- Tips for buying and cooking mutton– 20 + recipes
- Rice recipes – 53 + rice recipes
- Diet plan for losing weight
- Paneer recipes – 20 + recipes
- Diet plan for losing weight
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies