- Brinjal sliced lengthwise – 5
- Onion finely chopped – 1 [ use 7 shallots for more flavour ]
- Tamarind – goose berry size
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Sambar pwdr – 2 tsp
- Chilli pwdr – ½ tsp or as per taste
- Curry leaves -few
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 or 1 ½ tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds / saunf – ½ tsp
- Cinnamon – a tiny piece
- Coconut grated or chopped – ½ cup
- Cardamom – 1
- Clove – 1
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup hot water and extract juice .
- After cutting the brinjal soak it in water .
- Heat 2 tsp oil and fry the brinjal for few minutes till light brown. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan add chana dal + fennel seeds + cinnamon + clove + cardamom and fry , add coconut and stir fry for a minute. Let it cool .grind it into a fine smooth paste by adding the tamarind extract + ½ cup water .
Heat oil in a pan ,add mustard seeds and let it crackle .
Add onion + curry leaves and fry till light brown .
Add the coconut paste + 2 cup water + salt and mix well .[ adjust water as per the consistency u want.]
Allow it boil ,once it starts boiling add the brinjal .
Boil for 2 – 3 minutes and off the flame. [ as the brinjal is fried cooking time is less ]
- Instead of frying the brinjal you can add it in the gravy and cook it by boiling for more time .
- Try same recipe with potato ,fried ladiesfinger ,gavar /cluster beans ,drumstick etc .
- Adjust chilli pwdr accordingly as sambar pwdr has chilli .
- Actually in this recipe the oil should float on the top , in south it is called masala curry and we use more oil .
for more recipes click on the names below :-
- Stuffed brinjal
- Brinjal fry recipe
- Pumpkin dal
- Stuffed karela recipe
- Rice recipes
- Tips for soft idlis
- Cake recipes
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies