CABBAGE PULAO / CABBAGE RICE
- Cooked rice – 3 cup
- Finely grated / sliced cabbage – 2 cup
- Chopped coriander – 1 ½ cup
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Green chilli – 2 or as per taste
- Oil + ghee – 1 tbsp
- Few whole garam masalas [ jeera ,clove,cardamom,cinnamom, ]
- Finely chopped onion – 1
- Turmeric pwdr – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves few
- Fried cashew for garnish
- Mustard seeds + urad dal – 1 tsp [ optional ]
- I have grated the cabbage very finely with my slicer.
- Clean,wash ,rinse and soak the rice for 20 mins.Cook it with salt till soft not mushy. Each grain should be separate .We can also use leftover rice.
- Make a fine paste of coriander leaves + ginger garlic paste + green chilli .
Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds + urad dal and let it splutter .
Add whole garam masala and fry.[don’t burn ]
Add onions and fry till translucent .
Add coriander paste and fry till oil separates .
Add turmeric pwdr + salt and mix well .[here you can also add ½ tsp of garam masala pwdr ]
Add cabbage and mix well .
Stir fry for a minute . [it did not take me much time to cook the cabbage as it was finley grated ,also I did not cook upto full soft – I wanted it to be crunchy ]
I did not add water to cook the cabbage , if you want you can sprinkle very little water – but try to avoid .
Add the cooked rice and mix well .
Lower the flame ,cover and cook for 1 minute .
Garnish with cashew and transfer to a serving bowl.
Cabbage pulav is ready to be served with any side dish / raita / papad/pickle .
- The rice has to be grainy.
- The best part of this recipe is my family did not come to know that I had added cabbage .So good for those who don’t like cabbage .
- U can take equal quantity of cabbage and rice , as cabbage shrinks on cooking.
- Don’t reduce ghee.
- We can use more coriander leaves ,as it adds more flavour .
- Same recipe can be tried with other veges .
- Here v can add other veges also.
- I added urad dal to get the crunch in between.
for more recipes click on the names below :-
- Rice recipes
- Cabbage raita
- Cake recipes
- Tips for soft idlis
- Cabbage soup
- Cabbage paratha without stuffing
- Cabbage vada
- Cabbage paratha recipe
- Cabbage stir fry recipe
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies