CHANA DAL PAYASAM
- Chana dal – 1 cup
- Coconut milk thick – 2 cup [ refer here – How to extract Coconut milk at home]
- Jaggery powdered – 1 cup or as per taste
- Cardamom pwdr – 1 tsp
- Cashew broken and fried in ghee – few tbsp
- Water as required
- Wipe the dal and roast it for few minutes . [colour should not change ] Soak it for min 30 mins. Pressure cook upto 5-6 whistles with enough water till it softens. Mash it with a dal masher .
- Grate the coconut and extract milk from it .
- Chop the jaggery ,take it in pan with enough water to immerse it, boil it till the jaggery melts. Strain and keep aside .
Keep a big pan on medium flame.
Add in the mashed dal + jaggery syrup + water and mix well.
Cook for 2 -3 minutes by stirring.
Adjust water as per the consistency you want. [the payasam thickens once it cools]
Add cardamom pwdr and coconut milk stir and bring to a single boil and off the flame. [don’t boil more or it may curdle]
Add the roasted cashew nut.
For thin consistency you can add more coconut milk.
Serve hot or cold.
- Don’t boil much after adding coconut milk ,it may curdle .
- I have added a pinch of nutmeg.
- You can add dry ginger pwdr or edible camphor a pinch for flavour.
- It thickens on cooling .
- When pressure cooking the dal use enough water not more .
for more recipes click on the names below :-
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies