- Thin coconut milk – 1 cup
- Thick coconut milk – ¾ or 1 cup
- Hard boiled eggs – 3
- Cooked potato – ½ cup [ optional ]
- Onion finely sliced – 1
- Ginger and garlic crushed – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Black pepper – ½ tsp
- Cashew – 12 – 14 nos
- Clove – 2
- Cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon – 1 small piece
- Green chilli – 3 or as per taste
- Poppy seeds / khus khus – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Extract coconut milk from frehly grated coconut by grinding it .Refer here for recipe – How to extract Coconut milk at home
- Boil the egg for 10 – 12 minutes , peel the shell and chop it into two.Keep aside .
- Soak the poppy seeds over night or few hrs.
- Make a fine paste of cashew + poppy seeds + green chilli + cinnamon + cardamom + clove.
- Add this paste to the first thick milk and mix it .Keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan ,add black pepper and fry for few seconds.
Add sliced onion and fry till translucent .[ colour should not change ]
Add ginger + garlic paste and fry till raw smell leaves.
Lower the flame .
Add the thin milk + salt and allow it to boil .
Add the boiled egg and potato and mix well .
As it starts boiling add the thick milk and mix well.
Simmer on low flame for few seconds and off the flame.
Garnish with curry leaves.
Serve hot with Southindian accompaniments like dosa / appam/ idiappam / parotta.
- Don’t boil much after adding thick milk.
- The colour of the gravy has to be white ,so avoid onions from browning.
- Adjust the consistency as per your taste.
- It should not be very watery.
- Use coconut oil to enhance the flavour.
- For yellow colour add little turmeric pwdr.
- Use less oil .
- The same recipe goes for mixed veg stew /potato stew /chicken stew .
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies.