EGGLESS DOUGHNUT / DONUT
- Dry active yeast – 1 tsp [ I have used blue bird ]
- Warm water – ¼ cup *
- Sugar – ¼ tsp
- Maida – 2 cup
- Butter – 3 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Warm milk – ¼ th cup [ 1 tbsp extra if needed ]
- Big and small round cutters
- Oil to deep fry
- Take warm water in a bowl .
- Sprinkle the yeast and sugar .
- Allow it to rest for 10 mins .
- After 10 mins it will become frothy .[ bubbled ]
- If it is become frothy means it is ready to use ,if not then you have to discard it and repeat the process .This is called yeast proofing .
Take the flour + butter + salt + sugar and mix well till it becomes crumbly.
Now make a well in the centre, add the yeast mixture + vanilla essence and mix well .
Add milk little by little and start kneading it .
If you feel the dough is too thick then add little more milk , at this point the batter will be sticky.
Knead it atleast for 5 – 6 minutes till you get a plain soft dough without stickiness.
Rub oil all over the dough ,place it in a big bowl .
Cover and keep aside for 1 ½ hrs.
The dough must have doubled, punch the dough ,knead for a min and again keep aside for ½ or 1 hr.
Dust the rolling board and roll out the dough into ½ inch thick sheet.
Use the big round cutter and cut it .
Now take the small cutter and cut it in the centre as shown in the pic .[ bottle cap ]
Also cut few with big cutter without the hole in centre so that you can fill in chocolate sauce and relish it .
Arrange it in a plate , cover and keep aside for 30 mins to rise.
Deep fry the donuts on medium low flame .[ it browns quickly so be careful ,also don’t burn it ]
Flip over and fry till golden brown on both the sides.
Remove it on a absorbent paper and keep aside .
You can serve it plain by sprinkling icing sugar pwdr or dip it chocolate ganache .
For the plain one without hole , just make a hole and squeeze in some chocolate sauce.
FOR GANACHE [ CHOCOLATE TOPPING ]
Take equal amount of dark chocolate + heavy cream in a heavy bottom pan and place it on low flame. Keep stirring , when the chocolate melts add in the butter .Mix well into a smooth sauce.
Dip the warm donut in it , on one side and serve
Refer to my ganache recipe for detailed recipe :- Ganache recipe
For plain sugar vanilla glaze – Mix 1 cup of icing sugar + 2 ½ tbsp of milk + 1 tsp vanilla essence into a semi thick mixture . Coat the donuts on both the sides by dipping .Place it on a rack to allow the topping to thicken .
For chocolate glaze – Mix 1 cup sugar + ¼ cup cocoa pwdr + ¼ cup milk .
Other ingredients which can be used for toppings are
- Colourful Sprinklers
- Dry fruits
- Desiccated coconut
- Silver balls
- Tastes good when hot , So while serving you can microwave for 10 – 15 secs.
- Instead of yeast you can use 1 egg + 1 tsp baking pwdr .
- Be careful while frying , it browns fast. [ if it browns fast then the inside will not be cooked well ]
- Fry in small batches don’t overcrowd while frying .
- I kneaded the dough with my food processor.
- Gulab jamun is the Indian donut.
- For baking in convection mode – preheat the oven at 200 * and bake for 10 mins or till it is golden brown.
- The warm water for yeast should be such that you should be able to keep your finger in it for 10 counts.Either less or more will not work.
- Check the expiry date of the yeast before you start.
- Always store the yeast in the fridge.
FOR MORE RECIPE CLICK ON THE NAMES BELOW :-
- Ferrero rocher chocolate
- Chocolate making
- Chocolate paratha
- Cake recipes
- Homemade pizza recipe
- Pita bread
- Falafel recipe
- Instant bread gulab jamun recipe
- Microwave mug pizza
- Hyderabadi dum biryani
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies