GREEN CHAWLI LEAVES / AMARANTH LEAVES WITH MOONG DAL [ SouthIndian style ]
- Green Chawli leaves – 1 medium bunch
- Moong dal – ¼ cup
- Onion chopped – 1
- Garlic chopped – 3 cloves
- Tomato chopped – 1
- Green chilli – 3 or as per taste
- Turmeric pwdr – ¼ tsp
- Freshly grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Jeera – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Pluck the leaves , discard the thick stems and chop it . Clean ,wash ,rinse and soak the leaves in water for 5 mins ,so that the soil stuck to the leaves loosen. Again after 5 mins wash and rinse . Remove in a colander / strainer for the excess water to drain .
- Roast the moong the on medium flame for 2 – 3 mins .[to avoid stickiness while cooking ] Pressure cook with little salt and turmeric pwdr upto soft . Mash it a bit .
- Grind the coconut + jeera by adding little water.
Heat oil in a pan add , mustard seeds and let it splutter .
Add onion + garlic + green chilli and fry till light brown .
Add tomatoes + salt + asafoetida and fry till tomato softens .
Add the leaves and mix well .
Stir and fry till the leaves shrink completely and gets cooked .
Add the cooked dal + ground coconut paste and mix well .
Adjust water if required .It has to be of thick consistency .
Simmer on low flame for a minute and off the flame .
Serve as a side dish for rice or chapatti .
- Add coconut oil for more flavour.
- Can be tried with palak /methi leaves /drumstick leaves also .If using drumstick leaves or methi , just pluck the leaves and also don’t chop the leaves to avoid bitterness.
- Chop the leave neatly and not roughly – it gives a look to the gravy .
for more recipes click on the names below :-
- What to cook for breakfast ?– 500 recipes
- Cake recipes – 46 cake recipes + 40 tips on baking -baking in cooker /pan /kadai
- Idli recipes – 42 tips + 27 different idli recipes
- Veg recipes– 100 + recipes
- Cooking tips – 200 tips
- Tips for buying and cooking fish– 30 recipes
- Tips for buying and cooking chicken – 30 + recipes
- Tips for buying and cooking mutton– 20 + recipes
- Rice recipes – 53 + rice recipes
- Diet plan for losing weight
For more tips ,tricks , videos ,recipe ,amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies