HONEY SUGAR CANDY / THEAN MITTAI
- Idli rice – 1 cup
- Urad dal – ¼ cup
- Baking pwdr – ¼ tsp
- Red food colour as required
- Sugar – 2 cup
- Water – ¾ cup
- Rose essence – few drops [ optional ]
- Lemon juice – few drops
- Oil to deep fry
- Clean , wash rinse and soak the rice and dal together for 3 to 4 hrs .
- Once done drain the excess water and grind to a smooth thick paste by adding little water .[ 5 to 6 tbsp of water not more ]
- *** We want the batter consistency in between medu vada batter and idli batter consistency .
Take the batter in a mixing bowl and add the food colour and baking soda and mix well .
Boil water + sugar in a thick bottom pan on medium flame – make the sugar syrup upto ½ string consistency . [we don’t want thick syrup ,also the syrup has to be warm while dumping the balls ]
Once the syrup is ready add essence and mix well.
Add few drops of lemon juice to stop crystallization of sugar .
Heat oil in deep kadai .
Once the oil is hot ,wet your fingers and take a small portion of batter [marble size – not big ] and drop it in the hot oil .
Stir and fry till crisp – bubbling and sizzling sound stops . [3- 4 mins ]
Strain it and put them in the warm syrup .
Let it soak for 15 – 20 mins ,till it is soaked well or drinks the syrup well – it should be juicy inside .
Drain and remove on a plate .
Now you can sprinkle sugar pwdr all over or roll it on fine sugar crystals.
Allow it to cool and store it in an air tight container .
Can be kept for 2 days and had .
- The rice has to be soaked for more than 3 hrs .
- Batter should not be very thick or thin – be careful while adding water for grinding.
- I also tried the piping bag and made jalebis – it was too crispy .
- Sugar syrup has to be warm .
- Adding rose essence gives flavour to the syrup, u can also add cardamom pwdr.
for more recipes click on the names below :-
- What to cook for breakfast ?– 500 recipes
- Cake recipes – 46 cake recipes + 40 tips on baking -baking in cooker /pan /kadai
- Idli recipes – 42 tips + 27 different idli recipes
- Veg recipes– 100 + recipes
- Cooking tips – 200 tips
- Tips for buying and cooking fish– 30 recipes
- Tips for buying and cooking chicken – 30 + recipes
- Tips for buying and cooking mutton– 20 + recipes
- Rice recipes – 53 + rice recipes
- Diet plan for losing weight
For more tips ,tricks , videos ,recipe ,amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies