- Maida – 1 cup
- Corn flour – 3 tbsp
- Thick curd – ¾ cup
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Orange or yellow food colour – a pinch
- Baking pwdr – 1tsp [optional]
- Oil or ghee for deep frying
- Sugar – 2 cup
- Water – 1 cup to make syrup
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Elaichi pwdr – a pinch [optional]
- Take maida + corn flour + baking pwdr + ghee + food colour + curd in bowl. Mix well with clean hands so that no lumps are formed , add little water and make a thick batter. [ medu vada batter consistency ]
- Ferment it for min 6 hrs to 12 hrs or overnight in a warm place . [u can also try without fermentation instantly ]
- After 12 hrs again mix the batter well and use .
Take sugar + water in a pan and cook for 10 – 12 minutes on medium flame. Add lemon juice and mix well to stop crystallization. Add the elaichi pwdr and mix well.The syrup should not be very thick.
Pour the batter in a jalebi maker bottle or sauce bottle or zip lock pouch with a hole or piping bag or cloth with small hole.
Heat oil in a flat pan on medium flame.
Now pipe in the batter in a circular manner with 3 or 4 layers .
Fry on both sides till it is crisp. [don’t brown it ]
Remove and immediately place it in the sugar syrup.
Allow it to rest for 1 or 2 mins in the syrup. [ dont soak for long time ]
Drain and serve it.
- You can try this recipe without fermentation also.I have not tried.
- You can add saffron / rose essence to the syrup.
- Fry till crisp.
- You can serve jalebis with vanilla ice cream , rabri or fresh cream.
- You can add colour to the syrup also.
- Why not use rice flour instead of cornflour.
- If the batter is thin you can adjust with corn flour ..
- Some even replace cornflour with besan.
- While frying you can take half oil and half ghee.
- Oil has to be medium hot while frying.
for more recipes click on the names below :-
FOR MORE TIPS , TRICKS , VIDEOS , RECIPE , AMAZING KITCHEN APPLIANCES LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies