JEERA RICE / JEERA PULAO
RECIPE – 1 RESTAURANT STYLE – I usually make by this method .
- Aged basmati rice – 1 cup
- Water to cook the rice – 4 ½ or 5 cup
- Whole garam masala – 1 bay leaf + 1 star anise + 1 clove + small piece of cinnamom + 1 black cardamom
- Oil + ghee – 2 tbsp
- Salt as required
- Cumin seeds or sai jeera – 2 tsp [ I use sai jeera ]
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- Clean ,wash ,rinse and soak the rice for 30 mins .
- Boil the water with the whole spices + salt .
- Once the water starts boiling add the drained rice + salt and give a mix.
- Cook uncovered on medium flame .
- Keep checking whether the rice is cooked.
- Once the rice gets cooked ,off the flame and drain the excess water. [ be careful ,rice should not be over cooked ,each grain has to be separate at the same time also cooked ]
- Keep the rice aside .
Heat oil + ghee in a pan ,add the jeera and let them crackle . [ the jeera should not have raw smell ,it has to be fried but not burnt so keep the flame low ]
Add the coriander leaves and let it shrink .
Add this tempering over the rice and gently mix with a fork .
Jeera rice is ready to be served .
Serve jeera with any veg or non – veg gravy /curry .
- Use basmati rice for more flavour or even regular rice will do .
- It is better to use shah jeera instead of regular jeera.
- I like to add the coriander leaves in the tempering .
- Don’t reduce the oil + ghee quantity .
- While tempering you can also add ginger garlic paste and green chilli .
- We can also garnish with fried cashew.
- Instead of adding whole garam masala while cooking the rice ,we can add with the jeera while tempering .
- While tempering I also add ginger garlic paste little and fry it well , it gives lot of flavour .
RECIPE – 2
- Basmati rice – 1 cup [ aged of good quality ]
- Ghee + oil – 2 tbsp
- Jeera – 1 or 1 ½ tsp
- Whole garam masala few – cardamom + clove + cinnamon + bay leaf
- Salt as required
- Water – 2 or 2 ¼ cup
Clean , wash ,rinse and soak the rice for 20 – 30 mins .
Heat ghee + oil in a heavy pan on medium flame ,add the jeera + whole garam masala and let it crackle . [don’t burn the garam masala ]
Add the drained rice and mix well, till the rice is coated with the ghee .
Fry for a minute.
Add the water and allow to boil .
Lower the heat and cover the pan . [ leave little gap ]
Cook for 12 – 15 minutes till the rice is cooked and complete water is evaporated .
Spread the coriander leaves and gently fluff the rice with a fork.
Jeera rice is ready to serve .
- Once the rice if done ,you can drizzle few drops of melted ghee.
- Rice should not be over cooked.
- Soaking is must .
- To reduce soaking rice , soak the rice in warm water .
- Also you can use hot water for cooking the rice to reduce cooking time .
- You can also add finely chopped onion + 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste .
- Y not cook the rice in stock . [ I do try sometimes maggi cubes ]
- Water quantity depends on the quality of rice . I take 2 ¼ cup of water for 1 cup rice .
- You can also cook in pressure cooker .
- I always cook by the first recipe of cooking rice separately and later tempering it .
- While cooking the rice we can add few drops of lemon juice.
for more recipes click on the names below :-
- Sesame rice
- Mango rice
- Coriander rice
- Curry leaves rice
- Pudhina rice
- Coconut rice
- Capsicum rice recipe
- Lemon rice recipe
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies