KOKUM BUTTER MILK / KOKUM CHAAS
- Fresh Kokum – 8 or 10 pieces
- Butter milk – 3 cup
- Roasted jeera pwdr – ¼ tsp
- Chaat masala – ¼ tsp
- Finely chopped green chilly –1
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- Few curry leaves torn into bits
- Salt as per taste
- Boil the kokum in water for a minute . Allow it to cool .Squeeze and extract the juice from it and strain it OR you can soak it in hot water for few hours OR microwave it for 30 seconds .
- Beat 1 cup of fresh curd [ not very sour ] with 1 ½ cup or 2 cup of water .
Add required amount of kokum extract to the buttermilk .[ quantity of kokum extract depends on how strong you want the flavor /tanginess to be ]
Add salt + jeera pwdr + chaat masala + green chilli + coriander leaves and mix well .
Stir well and serve to drink .
It had the same taste like solkadhi – but was easy to make ,as v did not had to extract coconut milk .
VARIATIONS – You can also temper it with ghee , jeera and hing + red chilli + curry leaves and serve it with hot steam rice as a gravy. Dont boil after tempering.
- Adjust water as per the consistency [thickness] you want.
- Don’t use sour curd as kokum also has sour taste .
- You can add crushed /finely minced garlic ,it enhances the flavor .
- Before serving you can refrigerate it.
- Instead of butter milk you can mix the kokam extract with coconut milk .Refer here for recipe – Solkadi recipe
- Don’t store kokum at home as it looses the colour ,buy it when ever required to get the pink colour .
- *** It is good for digestion.Specially after eating non -veg dishes.
for more recipes click on the names below :-
- What to cook for breakfast ?– 500 recipes
- Cake recipes – 46 cake recipes + 40 tips on baking -baking in cooker /pan /kadai
- Idli recipes – 42 tips + 27 different idli recipes
- Veg recipes– 100 + recipes
- Cooking tips – 200 tips
- Tips for buying and cooking fish– 30 recipes
- Tips for buying and cooking chicken – 30 + recipes
- Tips for buying and cooking mutton– 20 + recipes
- Rice recipes – 53 + rice recipes
- Diet plan for losing weight
For more tips ,tricks , videos ,recipe ,amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies