SOUTHINDIAN LADIES FINGER GRAVY
- Ladies finger – 10 or 15 [ small and tender ]
- Onion chopped – 1
- Tomato chopped – 1
- Freshly grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Chilli pwdr – 1 tsp or as per taste [be careful as sambar pwdr also has chilli ]
- Coriander pwdr – 2 tsp
- Sambar pwdr – 1 tsp
- Turmeric pwdr – ¼ tsp
- Tamarind – marble size
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Sambar onions / shallots finely chopped – 2 tbsp [you can use regular onion also ]
- Curry leaves – few
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
- Chop the crown and bottom of the ladies finger . Chop it into small pieces . [1 inch ]. Stir fry the ladies finger in ½ tbsp oil on medium flame till the stickiness goes and it becomes light brown .[ don’t burn it] Remove and keep aside .
- Soak the tamarind in ½ cup hot water for 5 – 10 mins or microwave for 30 secs and extract the juice.
- In the same pan add little oil and fry the onion till translucent. Add the tomatoes and fry till soft . Add the coconut and fry for a minute. Add the chilli pwdr + turmeric pwdr + coriander pwdr + sambar pwdr and fry for few seconds. Off the flame and allow it to cool .Grind this mixture into a fine paste by adding the tamarind juice .
Heat oil in a pan .
Add mustard seeds and let it crackle .
Add fenugreek seeds .[it should not burn or it will give a bitter taste]
Add finely chopped onion + curry leaves and fry till golden brown.
Add the paste and stir fry for 1 min.
Add required water as per the consistency you want. [ 2 – 2 ½ cups ]
Allow it to boil on medium flame for 5 – 8 mins.
Finally add the fried ladies finger and simmer for a minute and off the flame.
Serve as side dish.
- The gravy has to be slightly thick and not very watery.
- Adding sambar pwdr gives nice flavour.
- You can also add a small piece of jaggery.
- The gravy will stay good for 2 days.
- For tempering you can use coconut oil.
- Also while tempering you can add chopped garlic together with the shallots.
- You can try the same recipe with fried brinjal or cooked drumstick .
for more recipes click on the names below :-
- Crispy okra fry
- Ladies finger poriyal recipe
- Dahi bhindi
- Bhindi raita
- Simple bhindi fry
- Aloo bhindi ki sabji recipe
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies.