PAYARU KANJI WITH COCONUT CHUTNEY / RICE PORRIDGE
- Parboiled rice – 1cup
- Whole green moong dal – ½ cup
- Salt as per taste
- Freshly grated coconut – ½ cup
Soak moong dal for 1 hour.
Soak rice for half an hour.
Pressure cook soaked dal + soaked rice + salt till soft and slightly mushy.[5-6 whistles on medium flame]
Open the cooker after the pressure is released add coconut and mix well.
Check salt and adjust.
It has to be watery.
Simmer for 2 minutes without lid and off the flame.
Serve hot with coconut chutney.
FOR COCONUT CHUTNEY
Grind freshly grated coconut + garlic + few curry leaves + salt + small piece of tamarind.
- I have soaked the rice ,as it is par boiled rice, if you are using raw rice you can just soak for 5 – 10 mins.
- Lot of water [ 7-8 cup ] has to be used as par boiled rice requires more water than raw rice.
- You can cook rice and dal separately and then mix it together.
- You can take equal amount of rice and dal or more of dal and less of rice.
- While cooking you can add garlic + methi seeds + jeera.
- You can temper it with red chilli + curry leaves.
- Instead of grated coconut ,you can add coconut milk.
- Cooking time differs according to the type of rice you have used.
- The kanji has to be of flowing consistency.
- Good for sick people who can’t have spicy food.
for more recipes click on the names below :-
- Coriander rice
- Mix dal khichdi recipe
- South Indian dal curry
- Bottle gourd gravy
- Cabbage stir fry recipe
- Sweet lassi recipe
- Murukku recipe
- Eggless banana chocolate cake
FOR MORE TIPS ,TRICKS,VIDEOS, RECIPE , AMAZING KITCHEN APPLIANCES LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies.