SOFT SPONGY DOSA / KAL DOSAI
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Boiled rice /ukda chawal – 1 cup
- Whole skinless urad dal – ½ cup
- Puffed rice / kurmura – ½ cup or a fistful
- Fenugreek seeds /methi seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ghee /oil to drizzle
Clean ,wash ,rinse and soak both the rice in little hot or warm water for 4 to 5 hrs .[not boiling ]
Clean ,wash ,rinse and soak the dal with fenugreek seeds for 3 to 4 hrs
Before you start grinding add the puffed rice just 10 mins before in the rice to get soaked.
Grind the rice to a smooth batter by adding very little water .[ first grind without water afterwards drizzle or add little water ] remove it in a container .
Now drain and grind the urad dal to a smooth batter by adding little water . Add this batter in the rice batter and mix well with clean hands .
Batter should be of medium consistency ,not thick or very thin .
Add salt ,mix well and keep overnight for fermentation. [ 8 or 10 or 12 hrs depending on climate ] Refer here for tips – Fermentation
The next day again mix the batter well .
Heat a tava on medium high flame .
Once the tava becomes hot , pour a ladle of batter in the centre and spread it to make a thick dosa .
Drizzle little oil or ghee around the dosa.
After spreading u will see holes appearing everywhere now lower the flame to lowest ,cover with a lid and cook .
***The top portion has to get cooked by the steam moving inside the lid as we are not going to flip this dosa .
Remove the dosa once it is cooked .[ 1 or 1 ½ min – be careful it should not burn from down ]
When you touch the top part of the dosa it should not be sticky, it will have a texture like idli .
Serve hot with any SouthIndian accompaniments like chutney and sambar or even non-veg gravy or veg korma. [ here I have served with fried onion chutney ]
- Once the dosa is done spread little molgapodi all over .
- You can also make it sweet by sreading little freshly grated coconut + sugar / jaggery + drizzle ghee – here u have to flip for sometime for the sugar to melt.
- I soaked in hot water as it helps in grinding the rice into smooth batter without any grits and also reduces soaking time .
- You can also soak in normal water .
- On one side it will be white and other side will be brown.
- Instead of kurmura you can add a fistful of poha .
- Adding fenugreek seeds gives a nice aroma to the dosa .
- Y not drizzle butter .
- This dosa remains soft after few hrs – good for travelling .
- Before making a new dosa drizzle little oil and wipe with a wet cloth.
For more recipes click on the names below :-
- Perfect dosa recipe
- Rava dosa
- Ragi idli and dosas recipe
- Potato filling for masala dosa
- Neer dosa
- Dosa upma
- Wheat dosa recipe
- Set dosa recipe
- Jini dosa
- Adai recipe
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies