- Tomato – 3
- Moong dal – ¼ cup
- Oil – ½ tbsp
- Onion – 1 chopped
- Green chilli – 2
- Sambar pwdr – 1 ½ or 2 tbsp [ depending on how strong you want the flavour to be ]
- Turmeric pwdr – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
- Freshly grated coconut – 1 or 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves chopped for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Ghee – 1 tsp [ optional ]
- Dry roast the moong dal for few mins till aromatic . [don’t burn it ]
- Pressure cook the dal + tomato + turmeric pwdr + little salt till soft.
- Mash or blend the dal .
Heat oil in a pan ,add mustard seeds + fenugreek seeds and allow it to crackle.[ fenugreek seeds should not burn ]
Add onion + green chilli + curry leaves and fry till translucent .
Add the cooked dal + 1 ½ cup or 2 cup water + sambar pwdr and mix well . [ water as per the consistency you want – it thickens on cooling ]
Adjust salt .
Allow to simmer on low flame for 2 minutes.
Drizzle the ghee and mix .
Add coconut + coriander leaves mix well and off the flame .
A great combo for rice and South Indian breakfasts.
- While adding sambar pwdr ,see that there are no lumps as we are adding pwdr in the water or mix sambar pwdr in little water and add .
- Use freshly made sambar pwdr for more flavoure . Refer here for recipe – Sambar made with freshly grounded masala
- We can use tuvar dal or masoor dal instead of moong dal – no need to roast.
- You can add other cooked veges also .
- I have used shallots instead of big onion .
- Adding little coconut oil while frying the onions enhances the flavour.
for more recipes click on the names below :
- Moong dal sambar
- Onion sambar
- Sambar without dal
- Sambar made with freshly grounded masala
- Ladiesfinger sambar
- Sambar recipe
- What to cook for breakfast ?
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies