- Rawa – 1 cup
- Ghee + oil – 1 ½ tbsp
- Cashew few broken
- Very finely chopped onion – ½ onion
- Chopped green chilli – 1 or as per taste
- Mustard seeds + urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt as to taste
- Hot water or normal water as required – 2 ¼ cup
- Dry roast the rava on medium flame till aromatic . [colour should not change ]
- Boil the water .
Heat oil + ghee in a pan add mustard seeds + urad dal + cashew and let it splutter .
Add curry leaves + onion + chilli and fry till translucent .
Add the roasted rava , mix well and fry for a min . **[ this mixture can now be stored in a container and kept in fridge and used later and if you want to store for more days then omit the onion ]
Gradually add the hot water + salt and mix well so that no lumps are formed .[ be careful as the rava may splutter ]
Cover and cook for 2 -3 mins till the rava is cooked.
In between stir so that the rava doesn’t stick to the bottom.
Off the flame , cover and allow it to rest for 5 mins.
Serve hot with chutney + vada + filter coffee .[ I like it with sugar ]
- VARIATION – after frying the onions , you can add plain water + salt . Allow it to boil and then add the roasted rava and continue as above .
- After frying the onions you can also add carrot ,boiled green peas.
- Don’t reduce ghee, infact you can add little more for more flavour.
- You can also add ¼ tsp grated ginger .
- Roasting is compulsory or the upma will be sticky.
- Instead of green chilli you can add red chilli .
- Some also add tomatoes. While adding tomaytoes remove the pulp.
- For loose texture add 3 cups of water.
- You can also drizzle few drops of lemon in the end.
- Boiling water side by side reduces cooking time.
For more recipes click on the names below :-
- Bread masala upma
- Oats upma
- Dosa upma
- Dhokla upma
- Daliya upma recipe
- Vermicelli upma recipe
- FILTER COFFEE RECIPE
- Medu vada recipe
- Southindian coconut chutney recipe
- SAMBAR RECIPE
- Kanchipuram idli
- What to cook for breakfast ?
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies