- Maida/APF – 2 cup
- Baking pwdr –1 tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Milk – ½ cup
- Sour Curd – 2 tbsp [not very sour ]
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- Butter as required
- Very finely chopped coriander leaves
- Kalonji or black sesame seeds as required
- Salt to taste
- **** tava with handle
- Take maida + baking pwdr + baking salt + salt and mix well. Sieve it 2 times .
- Take it in a big plate , add milk + curd + sugar and mix well.
- Sprinkle little water and knead it into a non sticky soft dough .[not tight ]
- Cover and keep aside for 2 to 3 hrs or more .
Again knead the dough for sometime and divide it into equal portion.
Roll each portion into smooth balls.
Roll a round circle with medium ,by dusting flour . [thicker than chapatti and thinner than naan ]
Sprinkle some coriander leaves + sesame / kalonji on the top and roll it gently to help it stick to the khulcha.
Sprinkle little water on the other side of the khulcha and spread it everywhere.[brush water every where ]
Place it on a hot tava with the wet side touching the tawa.
Lower the flame to medium low, cover and cook for sometime. [ less than 1 minute -be careful bottom should not burn ]
You will see bubbles appearing all over.
Flip the tava [ turn it upsaide down with the khulcha facing the flame- 2 inches away from the flame.]
Show it directly over the flames . Don’t worry it will not fall as it is stuck to the tava because of the water.
Keep moving the tava in circular movement ,so that the fame touches all the part of the khulcha.
Now you will see the bubbles changing colour ,once the bubbled part becomes dark brown remove it .[don’t burn it – keep checking by lifting the tava]
Remove it with a help of a spatula ,as it is stuck .[clean the tava with a cloth to make a new one]
Brush little ghee /butter everywhere and serve .
Serve hot with any veg or non veg gravies.
***** If you don’t have a handle with tava then use tongs [pakkad like we do for phulkas ]
VARIATION – If u don’t want to roast on direct flame then roast both the sides on the tava itself.
- U can use warm water to knead the dough.
- Roasting on direct flame gives a flavour of tandoor.
- Kalonji /onion seeds gives a nice flavour.
- The same recipe goes for the dough for making stuffed khulchas like aloo khulcha ,veg ,paneer ,onion khulcha .Refer to my recipes of stuffed parathas for different stuffing .
- Instead of maida we can use wheat flour.
- Also the same dough can be used for pizza base [ no yeast ]
- Instead of baking pwdr or baking soda we can use yeast .
- With coriander leaves we can also add finely minced garlic .
for more recipes click on the names below :-
- Butter naan recipe
- Southindian parotta recipe
- Methi Puri recipe
- Matar puri recipe
- Shahi idli
- Soft spongy dosa
- Methi malai paneer
- Spicy Chettinad mushroom masala
- Authentic chicken ghee roast
- Mutton nawabi korma
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies