PERFECT SOFT FLUFFY CIRCLE PHULKAS by Tamanna Bhagwati Sinha
- Whole wheat flour / gehu ka atta – 2 cups
- Water – ¾ cup or 1 cup depending on the quality of flour
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 ½ tsp
- Flour for dusting
- Butter / oil / ghee as required
**** very important ,use flour of good quality. Water quantity depends on the quality of the flour on how much the flour absorbs.
Take the flour + oil + salt in a big plate or mixing bowl .
Now slowly keep adding water little by little .
As you add water start gathering the flours together .
Once all the flours come together and form a mixture ,start applying pressure with knuckles and edge of the palms and start kneading it . [ 5 – 7 mins ]
If it is hard drizzle little water OR if it is sticky add extra flour .
Knead it into a soft and pliable dough by punching and kneading using your palms.
Cover the dough and keep aside for minimum 20 mins or more .
Divide the dough into equal portions around 12 – 15 lemon size .
Roll each portion into small smoothy balls without cracks.
Heat a tava or frying pan on medium flame .
Take one ball ,flatten it with your hands and dust it with dry flour .
Start rolling from the centre to the edges eith even thickness all over –
Keep dusting with dry flour and Roll into a disc of 6 “.
Put the disc on the hot tava and cook till you see bubbles – ¼ th cooked for 30 seconds .
Flip it and again cook till you see few bubbles – ½ cooked for 40 seconds .
Using a tong lift the phulka and put it on direct flame with the first side facing the fire or mesh .[ jaali ] The flame has to be high .
Wait for few seconds for the phukas to puff up.
****If you don’t want to put on direct flame , increase the flame and start gently pressing the phulkas with a ladle on the tava .
Once it puffs up from all sides ,remove and keep it in a hot box lined with kitchen towel / soft cloth .Apply little ghee all over and close the box to keep it soft .
Repeat the same procedure with all the balls.
Serve hot with any veg / non veg side dish .
- After making few phulkas or chapattis the tava becomes very hot which makes the chapatti stick to the tava – drizzle few drops of oil and wipe with a wet cloth .
- Phulkas are supposed to be served hot .
- Softer the dough better the phulkas .
- Keep the dough covered else it will dry.
- Some knead the flour with luke warm water / some use milk .
- We can roll all the chapatti first ,keep it covered and roast it later .
- There should be no holes else it will not puff .
- Sieve the flour to remove impurities .
- While kneading add little water at a time.
- Roll it evenly .
For more recipes click on the names below :-
- Wheat flour khulcha
- Butter naan recipe
- Pita bread
- Ladi pav recipe
- Chapatti pizza
- Matar paratha
- What to cook for breakfast ?
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodiess