PITA BREAD / SHAWARMA BREAD
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Maida – 2 cup
- Dry yeast – 2 tsp
- Warm water or milk – 1 cup
- Olive oil /oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt as required
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Water for kneading [ ¼ cup ]
Add the yeast to the warm water + sugar and mix well . Cover and keep aside for 10 – 15 mins till it becomes frothy .
Take the wheat flour + maida + salt + olive oil in a big plate and mix well .
Add the yeast mixture and start kneading into a soft dough. [ add required water to knead ]
Keep the dough in a greased bowl , rub little oil over the dough and cover it with a damp cloth .
Rest it for minimum 2 hrs or more.
The dough will double in size .
Remove it and again knead it .
Divide it into equal portions and roll it into soft balls with a rolling pin.
Roll each ball into a thick circle of ¼ inch thickness [ little thin than pizza base ]
Heat a tava on medium low flame.
Place the bread on the tava ,cover with a lid and cook for 2 – 3 mins.
Flip the bread and again cook for 2 – 3 mins .
Once done remove it .
Allow the bread to cool ,cut it from the centre and try to open the semi circles like pockets.
Now you can stuff anything of your choice like hummus ,falafel ,cutlets ,kebab etc [ both veg or no – veg ] and enjoy.
The same bread can be used for shawrama .
- You can take the flours in any ratio or just make of wheat flour or maida .
- You can also bake it at 200 * preheated oven for 8 – 10 mins.
- Be careful , don’t burn it .
- Roast on low flame ,so that it cooks evenly as it is thick .
- If you you don’t want to use yeast then you can add 2 tsp of baking pwdr + ½ tsp of soda + 3 tbsp of curd.
- Why not add some spice of our taste to the dough like chilli flakes ,jeera ,mixed herbs , oregano etc.
- For shawarma base ,roll it little thinner than pita bread . [ 1 inch ]
- If the yeast mixture doesn’t froth – discard it and repeat the procedure freshly again ,till you get a frothy mixture. For me I succeeded only in my third attempt.
for more recipes click on the names below : –
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies