- Tuvar dal – ½ cup
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Oil – few drops
- Ghee – 2 or 3 tbsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Freshly grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Whole red chilli – 2 or 3
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves for garnish
Clean ,wash ,rinse and soak the dal for 30 mins .
Pressure cook it with enough water + turmeric + few drops of oil upto 1 or 2 whistles. [the dal should be whole but soft – don’t mash it – don’t add more water while cooking – it has to be thick ]
Grind the coconut + jeera into a fine paste by adding little water .Add this paste into the cooked dal and mix well. Adjust salt if required .
Heat ghee in a pan .
Add red chilli + curry leves + asafoetida and stir fry .[don’t burn]
Add the cooked dal and mix well.
After the first boil off the flame.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve .
- Same can be tried with moong dal [dry roast it before cooking ] /chana dal.
- We SouthIndians like to temper with coconut oil .
- Coconut is optional – if not adding add jeera in the tempering .
for more recipes click on the names below :-
- What to cook for breakfast ?– 500 recipes
- Cake recipes – 46 cake recipes + 40 tips on baking -baking in cooker /pan /kadai
- Idli recipes – 42 tips + 27 different idli recipes
- Veg recipes– 100 + recipes
- Cooking tips – 200 tips
- Tips for buying and cooking fish– 30 recipes
- Tips for buying and cooking chicken – 30 + recipes
- Tips for buying and cooking mutton– 20 + recipes
- Rice recipes – 53 + rice recipes
- Diet plan for losing weight
For more tips ,tricks , videos ,recipe ,amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies