CHETTINAD MUTTON CURRY
- Mutton with bones – ½ kg
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Onion finely chopped – 1
- Tomato finely chopped – 1
- Curry leaves – few
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Fresh coconut – ½ cup [ thickening agent ]
- Pepper corns – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Roasted fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chilli – 6 or 7 or as per taste
- Garam masala pwdr – 1 tsp
- Turmeric pwdr – ½ tsp
- Red chilli pwdr – 1 tsp or as per taste [ adjust accordingly as we are adding whole red chilli and pepper also ]
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Salt to taste
- Clean ,cut ,wash and rinse the mutton pieces .Soak in water for 10 mins to get rid of excess blood. Rinse ,drain and keep aside .
- Dry roast red chilli + coriander seeds + fennels seeds + jeera + peppercorns one by one .Cool it and grind it into fine pwdr .[ you can use oil also to roast the masalas ]
- Grind the coconut + 1 tsp roasted fennel seeds into a fine paste by adding little water. [if you want , you can roast the coconut also till golden brown for more flavour ]
Heat oil in a cooker ,add onion + curry leaves and fry till light brown .
Add ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell leaves.
Add tomatoes and fry till oil separates .
A dd the grounded masala pwdr + turmeric + garam masala pwdr + salt .
Add the mutton ,mix well and stir fry for a minute ,so that all the masalas blend well with the mutton .
Now add required water – 1 or 1½ cup .
Cover the cooker and cook till it is done .
COOKING TIME DEPENDS – on the quality of the mutton .In some cooker, it just takes 3 whistles and in some more than that. Also cooking time ,depends on the size of the mutton pieces.
What I did is – Cook on high flame till 1 whistle later ,lower the flame to lowest and cook for 18 – 20 minutes .
After the pressure is released , open the cooker and add the coconut paste + little water. [ water as per the consistency you want ]
Simmer on low flame for a minute or 2 and off the flame .
Garnish with coriander leaves .
Serve hot with rice / idli / dosa / indian breads
FOR MORE RECIPES CLICK ON THE NAMES BELOW :
- Cooking tips
- Tips for buying and cooking fish
- Tips for buying and cooking mutton
- What to cook for breakfast ?
For more tips , tricks , videos , recipe , amazing kitchen appliances like our facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies