SWEET PONGAL RECIPE / SAKKARAI PONGAL RECIPE
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Moong dal – 4 tbsp
- Grated Jaggery – 1 ¼ cup or as per taste
- Ghee – 6 or 7 tbsp
- Cashew and rasins for garnish
- Coconut milk or milk or water – ½ cup
- Nutmeg pwdr –a pinch
- Elaichi pwdr – ¼ tsp
- Cloves -2
- Salt a pinch
1 – Roast the dal and rice separately till it becomes hot in a pressure cooker with 1/2 tsp ghee [it should not change colour].
Wash and pressure cook the rice + dal + salt upto 4-5 whistles till it becomes mushy.
Mix and mash well with a ladle and keep it aside.
2 – Heat the jaggery with enough water to immerse it.Boil till the jaggery completely dissolves without any lump. Strain the impurities and keep it aside.
3 – Heat ½ tsp ghee and roast the cashew till golden colour + fry the raisins till they puff up + the clove .
Add the jaggery syrup to the cooked rice and mix well.
Add ½ cup of coconut milk or milk or water + elaichi pwdr + nutmeg pwdr and mix well.
Cook for 5 minutes by adding the remaining ghee little by little. [or just heat the ghee and add it in the end and mix it well ]
Garnish with the fried cashew +clove and raisins.
- The ratio for cooking the rice should be 1 : 5.[rice and water]
- Be generous while adding ghee and use a good quality one.
- Coconut milk adds more flavour.
- The colour of the Pongal depends upon the jaggery.
- You can also add a pinch of edible camphor pwdr.
- Boil the jaggery till it dissolves ,don’t over cook till sticky consistency it has to be watery.
- After cooling pongal thickens,you can add hot ghee + milk and mix well .
- Instead of pressure cooker you can use any pan.
for more recipes click on the names below :-
- Millet pongal recipe
- Malai methi matar gravy
- How to make paneer at home
- Onion paratha
- Sesame rice
- Solkadi recipe
- Vermicelli sago kheer recipe
- Chicken badaami
- Vegetable biryani
FOR MORE TIPS ,TRICKS,VIDEOS, RECIPE , AMAZING KITCHEN APPLIANCES LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE