PALAK DAL CURRY [ South Indian style ]
- Palak [spinach ] – 1 bunch
- Tuvar dal – ¾ cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Green chilli – 3 or as per taste
- Turmeric pwdr – ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Tamarind – marble size
- Sambar pwdr – 2 or 3 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Oil – ½ tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Shallots finely chopped – 3 [optional ]
- Curry leaves – few
- Clean ,wash and rise the palak leaves and chop it finely.
- Wash and soak the dal for 30 mins.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water and extract the juice.
Pressure cook the dal + onion + tomato + green chilli + palak + salt + turmeric pwdr .[ 3 whistles]
Once the pressure is released , add 2 tbsp of tamarind juice and mix the dal well.
Heat oil in a pan ,add mustard seeds + jeera and let it crackle .
Add shallots [sambar onion] + curry leaves and fry till onions turn light brown.
Add coconut and fry till light brown .
Lower the flame and add sambar pwdr + asafoetida and fry. [ be careful ,it should not burn ]
Add the cooked dal and mix well.
Add water as per the consistency you want .
Adjust salt if required.
Simmer for 4-5 minutes and off the flame .
Palak dal is ready to be served with plain hot rice topped with hot ghee and any side dish.
- Always while adding water to any gravy , add hot water.
- Sambar pwdr gives a nice flavour to the dal as the palak as no flavour.
- You can also temper with crushed garlic like we do for dal tadka towards the end. refer here –DAL TADKA RECIPE
- Don’t roughly chop the palak ,but chop it finely as we are not going to mash or blend the dal.
- Its a must to soak the dal.
- Before chopping ,soak the leaves in water to remove the soil from the leaves.
- U can use red chilli while tempering.
For more recipes click on the names below: –
FOR MORE TIPS , TRICKS , VIDEOS , RECIPE , AMAZING KITCHEN APPLIANCES LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE – https://www.facebook.com/virtual.treat.for.foodies